I got the BX back on Wednesday. Hoorah! £413 later and it had undergone a thorough re-piping courtesy of Sparrow Automotive. Problem was, the drive home was a bit meh to be honest. That after I’d stepped out of a battered Skoda Felica (thanks for the lift Rob!). Actually, I was quite taken by the Felicia to be honest.
It never helps when you’ve spent a lot of money on something invisible. Apart from a notable lack of green puddles when the car was running, it felt absolutely no different to drive than before. That can be frustrating, especially when the suspension is far from perfect. One rear sphere offers all the damping ability of a space hopper. Then there’s the smoke it produces when the turbo kicks in, the heavy clutch, heavy throttle pedal and typical clunky BX gearchange. By the time I’d driven the 70 miles home, the ‘meh’ had turned into a full-blown ‘ugh.’ Part of the problem is that I knew the only way to make things better was to spend yet more money. Definitely ‘ugh!’
However, I woke up today in a promising frame of mind. I was at my desk working by 8am, and was pretty much done by 10am. I refused to curse myself for finally starting a feature I’d had two months to write. I like pressure. It helps focus the mind. That left a good chunk of day. So, I set about improving the BX. There are a million and one things I could try and fix, but I decided to start small. The rear screenwash hasn’t worked at all since I bought the car and reading the Blog from the previous owner on the BX Club, it didn’t seem to have worked during his ownership either – stretching back to 2010.
The simple thing to do would be to order up a replacement. I decided to pull out the screenwash bottle and pull the pump apart. I did test the pump by wiring it directly to a battery. Nothing happened. Demolition time. I took no photos of this, so you’ll have to take my word for it. The motor part comes away from the impeller part, so I was able to give the operating rod a twist, then wire it up directly to the battery. It span! Then I reassembled and plugged it into the wiring loom. It didn’t run. Cleaning the contacts improved matters and I now have a working rear screenwash. Result!
Now that’s one tiny fix, but it’s a start. Fired up by this watery success, I headed online and ordered a full set of suspension spheres. That’s £100 gone. Then I ordered another £100 of anti-corrosion products for both the BX and 2CV. Yes, it was pay day today…
I did also investigate whether a clogged air filter might be contributing to the horrific smoke levels from the exhaust. It wasn’t, but I did discover a fair dose of engine oil in the airfilter suggesting a breather issue. It’s quite normal for engines to have a crankcase breather to deal with the pressure difference generated by moving pistons. Even the 2CV has one. These breathers can fail, though oil can also bypass the pistons due to ring wear and cause a similar issue. I’ll start with the breather though!
Again, I took no pictures because I’m rubbish. Imagine an air filter with some engine oil on it though, and you’ve got a pretty good idea.
I shall try and get my BX Mojo fired back up again. I need to rather desperately as we’re due to drive it around Scotland next month. I’ve got a fair bit of work to do before then including a front brake overhaul and a much-needed service…